The mission of the Association of Traumatic Stress Specialists (ATSS) is to operate, educate and professionally certify its worldwide membership in order to assist those affected by trauma.
Values to which we ascribe are:
- We are an organization of people caring for people at all levels of intervention;
- We will do no harm (non-maleficience);
- We will promote human welfare (beneficence);
- We will be fair (justice);
- We will fulfill commitments (fidelity);
- We will strive to model empathic, engaged, responsive interaction and a high degree of professionalism;
- We will engage in acts intended to assist in the normative healing processes of trauma recovery through multiple levels of interaction;
- We are sensitive to and respectful in our interventions with persons who have experienced trauma;
- We acknowledge that human beings as individuals or in families, groups, communities, or nations can be overwhelmed by traumatic events and display a traumatic stress response.